One-Day Car Insurance Coverage
One-day car insurance doesn’t exist, but you can get short-term auto insurance coverage for about $15 a day. Generally, temporary car insurance is no less than 30 days at a time, but this may not be the best option for you. If you are going to drive more than every once in a while, a traditional car insurance policy may be cheaper. If you need car insurance for one day, compare options to see what they best deal will be.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 31, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about car insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything car insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by car insurance experts.
- Most car insurance companies don’t offer temporary coverage and the ones that do will not offer just one-day insurance policies.
- The shortest auto insurance term is generally 30 days.
- Temporary car insurance averages $15 per day.
- It might be cheaper to purchase a standard policy if you will be driving more than 30 days at a time.
There are many reasons you might need one-day car insurance, such as borrowing a car from a friend or looking for auto insurance for the first time. You could also be trying to reduce the cost of auto insurance by limiting the amount of time you are paying.
No matter the reason, it’s good to know that it is possible to get short-term car insurance if you know where to look.
Chances are your standard car insurance company won’t offer you temporary car insurance. Although some companies will offer you a short-term policy, there is no such thing as a one-day car insurance company.
No matter what type of car insurance you’re looking for, shopping around will help you find the best coverage at the cheapest price.
Enter your ZIP code now to compare quotes to see if short-term or one-day auto insurance is the cheapest option for you.
How Can you Get One-day Car Insurance?
Most standard auto insurance companies will not offer you a short-term policy, and the companies that do offer temporary car insurance don’t offer just a one-day policy. Generally, the shortest term you can find is for 30 days.
If you are going to be driving off and on throughout the year, it might be cheaper to buy a standard policy. There are many different types of car insurance coverage for you to choose from.
This table shows you the average price of car insurance based on the type of coverage you buy. Low coverage policies will meet the legal requirements for auto insurance in your state but don’t offer any additional coverages.
|Insurance Companies||Average Annual Rates for Low Coverage||Average Annual Rates for Medium Coverage||Average Annual Rates for High Coverage|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Although one-day car insurance rates aren’t available, low coverage averages $10 a day, while a short-term policy will cost you about $15 a day. You can see that it is cheaper if you purchase a standard policy if you are going to be driving more than just once in a while.
It’s also important to note that there are many different factors that affect the price of car insurance, such as age, driving record, and where you live. Your rates may be lower once all of the factors are considered.
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Who Needs Temporary Car Insurance?
Temporary auto insurance can be needed for a variety of reasons. A few reasons someone might want a short-term auto insurance policy are:
- Borrowing a car from family or a friend. If your car is in the shop or you just need to run some errands, you could borrow a car from family or friends. Even though you will only be driving a short time, getting your own policy is not a bad idea. A non-owner car insurance policy will give you the peace of mind that you are covered should an accident occur.
- Test driving a new car. If you are test driving a car, you might want a temporary policy. This is especially true if you are buying from a private seller and don’t know if they have car insurance.
- Renting a car. If you are renting a car and don’t have a standard car insurance policy that covers it, short-term or rental insurance will be necessary.
- Looking for a new car insurance company or getting insurance for the first time. Maybe you are in the process of securing traditional auto insurance and need some time to figure out who you want to go with. Short-term car insurance will give you time to compare quotes and pick an auto insurance company that’s right for you.
As you can see, there are a variety of reasons to look into temporary car insurance. Depending on your specific needs, short-term coverage may be the way to go.
However, if you will be driving for more than 30 days, a traditional policy will be cheaper in the long run.
What are the Consequences of Driving Without Car Insurance?
No matter your situation, the one thing you don’t want to do is drive without car insurance.
Despite most states requiring some sort of auto insurance, the Insurance Information Institute reports that 13% of drivers were uninsured in 2015.
If you get caught driving without auto insurance, you will face fines, driver’s license suspension, and possible jail time. Saving a few dollars on car insurance is not worth the penalties if you drive uninsured.
Not to mention you would be personally liable for any damages in the case of an accident. This could cost you thousands of dollars out of pocket.
It’s so easy to shop around for car insurance. There’s no reason not to be covered, even if you only need car insurance for one day.
Enter your ZIP code to compare quotes with temporary car insurance and see if short-term coverage is right for you.