Today, OnStar offers class-leading safety and security services, and offers a number of high-technology perks to drivers, including turn-by-turn navigation, integrated hands-free calling for safer cell phone use, and even a mobile app on both Apple iOS and Google Android platforms that give users remote access to not just data on their automobiles, but allow for remote starting, unlocking and locking of doors and more.
OnStar has even become the primary telematics device used by a number of car insurance companies offering pay as you drive, pay by the mile or usage based insurance (UBI) policies. GMAC Insurance and State Farm both offer UBI programs for consumers that use the OnStar system.
General Motors, which owns OnStar, has announced a number of milestones racked up in the 16 years OnStar has been offered as included equipment or an aftermarket install in vehicles.
On top of the more than 191,000 Automatic Crash Response calls, the service has also provided:
- More than 94 million Turn-by-Turn routes
- More than 1 million Emergency Services delivered
- 6.9 billion Hands-Free Calling minutes purchased
- More than 581,000 Good Samaritan calls
- More than 213 million Vehicle Diagnostic emails sent
- More than 5.8 million Remote Door Unlocks
- 8.5 million RemoteLink Mobile App requests
- More than 2.9 million Roadside Assistance responses
- 59,000 Stolen Vehicle Assistances
Do you have an automobile that’s equipped with OnStar? Has it been a significant part of your experience as a driver?