Reviews of Insurance Agents and Brokers:
- Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America: Consumer Information: This website includes a wide variety of information, such as agents with Trusted Choice Ratings and insurance news.
- U.S. Insurance Net: Insurance Company Reviews: This site provides basic reviews for a variety of insurance companies across America, with a few useful sort fields as well.
- Top Rated Insurance: Top Rated Insurance Companies: This site breaks down insurers into their various categories and then provides you with lists on what companies are the mostly highly recommended. Additional FAQs and articles are included.
- J.D. and Associates: Insurance Ratings: J.D. ratings have a lot of pull in the business world. Don’t pass a chance to review the professional ratings and tips provided by its site.
Financial Stability Ratings for Major Insurance Companies:
- Moody’s: Insurance: The highly lauded Moody ratings can be accessed for free. The site includes bonus information on insurance finances and regulation news.
- Demotech: Demotech is one of the primary provider of financial ratings for insurance companies in the United States. Use its website to search for Title, Health, and other types of insurance companies.
- A.M. Best: A.M. Best provides professional ratings of insurance companies across the world, with a focus on North America. You can organize your search by region or insurance type, then review the many briefings, ratings, and news reports the site offers.
- Fitch Ratings: Insurance: Another famous name in financial ratings, Fitch provides a variety of excellent insurance rating information and news…if you are willing to subscribe.
Guides and Introductions to Major Insurance Topics:
- Kiplinger: Smart Shopper’s Guide to Auto Insurance: Don’t be alarmed by the list of links – Kiplinger provides a collection of articles on how to acquire auto insurance and what to look for, each section taking you through the steps.
- Investopedia: Beginner’s Guide to Auto Insurance: This simple article on auto insurance is an excellent place to start if you want general, easy-to-read information.
- MSN Money: Insure Your Car: This auto insurance hub connected you to a number of interesting articles, useful answers, financial calculators, and advice columns.
- Kaiser: Consumers Guide to Health Reform: Health insurance reform can be difficult to pin down. If you have questions, use this FAQ to gain some clarity.
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation: This provides a general guide to how traditional health insurance works in the United States and provides an excellent foundation for learning more or making important health plan decisions.
- eHealthInsurance: Buyer’s Guide: If you have to buy or choose your own health insurance, this guide takes you through the key steps. Handy definitions and online calculators are included.
- Homeowners Insurance Guide: Know Your Choices: This simple articles explains the ins and outs of insuring your home. Links lead to more detailed advice on making claims.
- The Consumer’s Guide to Homeowners Insurance: This Trusted Choice guide explores many of the questions that first-time homebuyers have when it comes to insurance, from the big issues to the little things you might be curious about.
- CNBC: Your Life Insurance is Not About You: With both general information and key perspectives, this article is a great place to start exploring the components of life insurance.
- The Consumer’s Guide to Life and Health Insurance: Trusted Choice does its FAQ guides well. This one addresses the functions of life insurance and how payments and premiums work.
- Small Business Trends: The Small Business Owner’s Guide to Life Insurance: This brief article provides an key introduction into life insurance policies for the small business owner. Use it as a jumping-off point for finding out more.
- Travel Insurance Review: Travel Insurance 101: This collection of articles is ideal for casual review of travel insurance concepts and advice on how to buy a policy (and what to do afterward).
- LA Times: A Guide to Travel Insurance: If you are short on time and want the condensed version, read this LA Times summary on travel insurance and what you need to know to buy a policy in one sitting.
General Insurance Regulation Info:
- Life Insurance In Depth: Life Insurance Laws State-by-State: Since life insurance regulations differ between states, this guide can be invaluable for tracking the applicable standards in your area.
- State Insurance Regulation: If you enjoy the history and facts behind insurance regulations, this guide explains why state insurance works the way it does.
- This Matter: Insurance Regulation: Not much time? This guide sums up the more esoteric points of state regulation into a quick guide that gives you a crash course on the regulation process.
Consumer Complaint Resources:
- Illinois Department of Insurance: Each state has its own complains resource for insurance companies. However, this Illinois version does a very good job of explaining the process and its limits, making it applicable no matter where you live.
- Consumer Affairs: Insurance: Locate the links to insurance categories on this page and follow them to ratings pages where you can view ratings and file reviews of your own.
General Facts about the Insurance Industry:
- U.S. Census Bureau: Banking, Finance & Insurance: This resource provides links to revenue, establishments, employees, and other general information on the insurance industry, available in both PDF and Excel files.
- Insurance Information Institute: Facts and Statistics: Arranged by topic, this resource provides facts on premiums, market share, and other general industry data. Use this list if you know what specific topic you are interested in.
- Insurance Journal: Facts and Legends of Insurance Industry History: This piece is for the curious. It may not have modern day application, but it does provide a fascinating glimpse at the start of insurance in the United States.